Why did yesterday's Catholic children know the Bible so much better than today's?
One major reason: this magnificent Bible picture book.
Even back in the Fifties, this book was considered ambitious. Today it would be unthinkable for a Catholic publisher to lavish so much time, talent and expense on a book intended primarily (but by no means exclusively) for young people. Consider the contents:
- Every significant story in the Bible (both Testaments), told in sequences of three to ten captioned pictures
- An astonishing 1,085 pen-and-ink illustrations in all -- not cartoon-like outline drawings, but intelligent, and bursting with historical details
- Captions are consise--typically two or three sentences--and summarize the action of each picture in clear language, using direct Biblical quotations wherever possible
- The pictures are reverent yet dramatic, and flow into one another so that the movement of the story is clearly seen
- Teens no less than children can enjoy--and learn from--this book, which serves as an excellent primer (or refresher course) in Bible history
- In telling about Jesus, detailed attention is paid not only to his miracles and Passion but to His teachings, including key parables and the Sermon on the Mount
- 11 talented artists prepared the illustrations, which were then verified by Bible experts for historical accuracy
A distinguished Biblical scholar and author, Msgr. Dante Del Fiorentino served as editor.
Prominent churchment, scholars and laymen acclaimed the book for its fidelity and artistry, and strongly urged its wide use in homes and schools. Catholic reviewers agreed:
"Extremely attractive...dramatizes the Biblical narratives in such a way that adults as well as children will be able to profit from this pictorial history...Since the Scriptures are presented here undiluted by any intermingling of fiction, young readers expecially will find this an excellent volume from which to increase their store of Biblical knowledge." -- Ave Maria
"A wonderful book for children...It can also serve those who try to meditate and would like help in picturing Scriptural scenes." -- Messenger of the Sacred Heart
|Author||Rt Rev Dante Del Fiorentino|
The Catholic Bible In Pictures
- Brand: Roman Catholic Books
- Product Code: 9780912141879
- Availability: 2
- Ex Tax: $57.82